Planning Architect DI Heinz Lutter
Floor space 2153 square feet
Status realization 2011
Photography Robert Zahornicky
Revitalization of an old farmhouse - Styria, Austria
This structure was built as a log construction house with hewn logs in 1650. It is a two-story farmhouse with a center part, the so-called "Labn," or hallway with staircase to the upper floor. On both sides of the hallway there is the kitchen, the pantry, and the
so-called “Stubn” or family room with ancillary rooms on the ground floor and the "Kammern" or bedchambers are allocated as bedrooms on the top floor.
In order to satisfy present days demands on a home, various changes had to be made such as the installation of bath rooms/shower rooms, toilets/WCs and a heating system. The design principle for the renovations called for leaving all parts of the house that were preserved in its original condition and for using modern materials and techniques to create new the necessary built-ins and changes.
The old wood panelling in the family room and chamber was restored and the surface of the wood was freshened up. The walls of the "Labn" with its hand-hewn logs were left in place, cleaned, and the open joints were resealed with moss. Larch, pine, and birch wood were used for the bathrooms, floors, and furniture built-ins. The marble in the bath room comes from the region.
Wall heating units were installed in the rooms where the interior walls have been originally plastered. To supplement the wall-heating units, a cockle stove and an open fireplace were installed.
Mostly tradesmen from the region did all renovation work.